Things I wish I’d known before coming to university…👌📌
By Brenna (HBComm), Madi (HBComm) & Katie (HBASc)
- If you want a study room in the Learning Commons, BOOK IT EARLY! They fill up fast – especially during exam season! 📝
- The Alumni Commons is student friendly. 👌
- Get involved in student life during your first year.
- Participate in non-academic activities like EXCEL Leadership and begin working on your Co-Curricular Record right away.
- Use the discussion section on myCourslink (D2L) to ask questions and start study groups. Or, make facebook groups for courses where you can ask peers for help!
- You can access past exams on myCourselink (D2L).
- Get to know your professors. 👋
- Introduce yourself to the Library Staff – they know everything!
- Professors WANT to see you during office hours… it’s why they have them! 😀
- Don’t buy all your books until you know that you need them! Also look online for used textbooks at a discounted price. 📚
- Create a budget and stick to it. 💰 ✔
- Use a planner and/or calendar to organize your school and personal schedule. Google calendar rocks for this FYI. 📅
- Look of for free things (goods or resources) being offered on campus!
- Take advantage of the free group study sessions in the Academic Support Zone.
- Try to get work and/or volunteer experience in your field of study early on. 💼
- Remember to take time just for YOU! 💖